Organize Your Life Using the iPod Touch: Making Cognitive Connections at Home, School, and Work
This book applies to devices with iOS 4 installed. If you are not sure what operating system (OS) your device uses, please see the explanation on the iOS Products page.
This book is also useful for iPhone and iPad users. Utilizing the Making Cognitive Connections approach, this book teaches the fundamental technical skills necessary to operate an iOS-based smart mobile device while simultaneously drawing a parallel to the cognitive skills that underlie the development of those technical skills.
The iPod Touch book focuses on the following topics:
- Making Cognitive Connections
- iPod Touch Basics
- The Clock App
- The Calendar App
- The Contacts App
- The Notes App
- Synchronizing with iTunes
Why Focus on These Topics?
These topics were selected because they reflect the areas with which individuals with cognitive challenges have the most difficulty on a day-to-day basis. Examples of these difficulties include:
- Missing appointments
- Double-booking appointments
- Taking notes and not being able to find them when needed
- Not remembering homework assignments
- Not allowing enough time to get where they need to be
- Not having relevant contact information with them (phone numbers may be stored in a cell phone; however, addresses and relevant names may not be readily available)
- Forgetting a list of shopping items when going to the market
In fact, individuals with cognitive challenges were consulted regarding both the topics and the depth and breadth of information presented in the book. The overwhelming response was that the book covered just enough information without causing users to be overwhelmed by the amount of information or number of skills being learned.
- Print sized for easy reading
- Limited text on each page providing extra white space to prevent information overload
- Clearly designated quick steps showing step-by-step details for each function
- Images to help orient the reader to the relevant iPod Touch screen
- Making Cognitive Connections exercises in each chapter
- Title Page, Table of Contents, and Chapter 1 (Making Cognitive Connections) Excerpt (PDF; 153k)
NOTE: This is just an excerpt. Several other cognitive skills are stressed throughout the book beyond those listed in the excerpt.
- Chapter 3 (The Clock App) (PDF; 789k)